SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) is an IDE that provides a graphical interface for connecting and working with MS SQL server.
WHAT IS THE SERVER MANAGEMENT STUDIO?
It was launched with Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and is used to configure, manage, and administer all components in Microsoft SQL Server.
DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL SQL SERVER MANAGEMENT STUDIO
Step 1. Follow this link and click “Download SQL Server Management Studio 18.0″.
Step 2. After the download, we will get a .exe file named ” SSMS-Setup-ENU.exe “. Double click on it
Step 3. A window will appear below. Click “Install”.
Step 4. The installation will begin. At the bottom of the screen, you will see the progress of the packages and the general progress.
Step 5. After installation is complete, the screen shown below will appear with the message “Setup complete”.
HOW TO GET ACCESS TO THE “MANAGEMENT STUDIO”.
Now we are ready to open “Management Studio”. Select “Start”> “Programs”> “Microsoft SQL Server 18 Tools”> “Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18”.
The “Connect to server” screen will appear below. The default name of the server corresponds to the name selected during the installation of the MS SQL server.
Let’s deal with each of the above fields
- Server type: this option allows you to select one of the four available MS SQL service options. We will work on the Database Engine component to create and work with the database. The other type of server includes analysis, reporting, and integration services.
- Server name: this is the name of the server on which MS SQL Server is installed and for which a connection to this server must be established. Usually, we use the server name as “Computer name \ Instance”. Here Instance is the name given to the SQL Server instance during the SQL Server installation.
- Authentication: by default “Windows Authentication” is used if we use “Windows Authentication” during the SQL Server installation. Otherwise, if we select “Mixed Mode (Windows Authentication and Windows Authentication)”, then “SQL Server Installation” is set by default for Authentication.
- Username \ Password: if you select Authentication other than “Windows Authentication”, e.g. “SQL Server Installation”, then these two fields will be required.
- Click on “Connect”. You will now be connected to “Data Management Studio”.
Access to the “Management Studio” using the command line.
In addition, we can also open SQL Server Management Studio from the Windows command line. You must have a full path to ssms.exe. Below are the default location and file name.
Here are the steps to access the command line.
Open a command line by typing CMD in the search box.
Type in the full path, then ssms.exe as shown below, and press “Enter”.
The “Connect to server” screen will appear in the same way as described in the previous section.
INTRODUCTION TO DATA MANAGEMENT STUDIO IDE
Below is the start screen for Data Management Studio.
The object browser provides a tree view of the database objects contained on the server. This section shows all databases, security, server object for quick reference. To view the components of each object, simply click the + icon located to the left of the object that will expand it.
2) Database selection
This drop-down list allows the user to select the database in which we will perform our requests.
3) Query Editor
Here we can write all our requests. MS SQL server provides interactive suggestions for tables, columns, etc. E. For convenient creation of queries and much more.
4) Execute button
This button will finally execute the request and return the results.
TIPS AND TROUBLES OF SSMS
- Management Studio is a standalone product. It does not match any particular version of SQL Server. For example, we can use SMMS Version 18 with SQL Server 2017 as well as with SQL Server 2016.
- Larger codes reduce the readability of. Use comments for better readability. Put a “-” before any line to comment on.
- Group comment: we can comment on a group of rows by selecting them all and clicking on the icon shown in the image below.
Unexpected shutdown, a system failure can lead to unexpected data loss. Select the “Auto Recovery” checkbox to minimize data loss. We can even set the time interval for automatic data recovery and the number of days for which this information will be saved before it is deleted.
Tools> Options> Wednesday> Auto-recovery
In case of failure, a pop-up window will appear with the name of
- We often need the result of our query to be saved in text format for future links.
We can click and select the icon above and launch any request. We will be asked where the file can be saved in the future.
VERSIONS AND SSMS UPDATES
The first version of SSMS was with SQL Server 2005. SSMS remains an integral part of SQL Server with SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2012, and SQL Server 2016. In 2016 Microsoft started the first series with SSMS version number as 16.3. All series include version numbers 16.x, 17.x, and 18.0.
The latest 18.0 series have the following versions: 18.0 (Preview 4), 18.0 (Preview 5), and 18.0 (Preview 6).
Until December 18, 2018, the latest version is SSMS 18.0 (Preview 6).
Additional updates for the 18.0 series can be found here — https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/sql-server-management-studio-changelog-ssms?view=sql-server-2017.
SSMS SUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEMS
The table below shows the SQL Server edition and the corresponding supported operating system. “Y” stands for “Supported” and “N” stands for “Not supported”.
- Server Management Studio provides a graphical interface for connecting and working with MS SQL Server.
- It provides Object Explorer, a query editor, as the main window to start with.